The Fawcett 120 Trainer
Innovative Australian Cabin Monoplane and Trainer - 1950s
This Australian 4-seat high-wing cabin monoplane was designed by Luigi Pellarini in 1953 and built by Fawcett Aviation of Bankstown, as a replacement trainer to the Tiger Moth for their subsidiary, the Illawarra Flying School.
First flight November 1954. Pellarini has been associated with a number of Australian and New Zealand designs, including the Kingsford Smith PL7 Tanker, Bennett Airtruck, Victa R2 and the Transavia Airtruk.
Only one prototype was constructed; after unsuccessfully competing for an Army contract, it was stored at Bankstown until the late 1970s, when it was rebuilt with a four cylinder horizontally-opposed engine. The aircraft has always carried the registration VH-BQC.
Of all metal construction (quite new in its day for light aircraft), the Fawcett 120 has a tricycle undercarriage, has dual controls and is fully aerobatic.
Wingspan: 10.87 metres, length 6.91 metres, height 2.06 metres, maximum speed 204.36 km/h, ceiling 14,600 feet.
Originally powered by a 130 hp de Havilland Gipsy Major 1 Series 1 four cylinder in-line piston engine, the aircraft was re-engined in 1979 with a four cylinder horizontally -opposed piston engine.
Donated by the late Mr. Doug Fawcett
We have 20 guests and no members online